United Way Dedicates New Center
Greater Valdosta United Way held a dedication ceremony for its new Brantley & Barbara Jenkins Community Center building at 1609 N. Patterson St. It has been renovated to be a teaching space for financial education and as a meeting place for local nonprofits to use at no cost. The Jenkinses have been long time supporters of the Greater Valdosta United Way and they also have been married for 54 years. The couple have had a great life together here in Valdosta, and they love dancing and traveling, which the Jenkinses allowed to inspire the creation of their dancing club that is currently still running strong. Dr. Jenkins, originally from Augusta, taught physics at Valdosta State University from 1968-84, and now serves as honorary campaign chair. Mrs. Jenkins, from Columbus, taught school there for six years. She is also a talented artist and drew pictures for a cook book that was sold to help raise funds for the Boys and Girls Club of Valdosta. Although the Greater Valdosta United Way has always been one of their favorite charities, they also support Valdosta State University, South Georgia Medical Center, Boys Scouts, the Garden Center, the arts center, and their church. They really enjoy giving to United Way because it helps all the agencies that United Way supports. Greater Valdosta United Way was able to meet and surpass this year’s campaign goal of $750,000, because of the Jenkinses’ generous contribution.